For the next few Fridays I thought I'd share some fancy, unconventional French Fry recipes.
We LOVE to cook here.
EC is a phenomenal and amazing chef.
(I'm gonna buy him one of those chef hats one day.)
He's self taught.
Did you know that you can teach yourself to cook?
I grew up with a Hungarian grandmother who cooked & baked everything from scratch.
Next to her I stood watching in amazement as she kneaded, churned, stirred, collected and seasoned all of our food.
I had no idea that it had any great "cooking skill" impact on me. I only knew that I LOVED her and LOVED EVERYTHING SHE MADE.
And it's not bad, if I do say so myself.
Now, not all of us cook well at first.
But we really won't know anything about anything until we give it a go.
Just like I didn't know how to make a slip cover or paint or blog.
Gettin' my point?
JUST DO IT.
You will be in awe of what you slide onto everyone's plate.
You'll start to hear humming sounds coming from the table.
That's my favorite part!!!
ONTO THE FRIES:
We eat tofu here.
I can hear the crowd already:
"tofu! gross! mushy! no flavor!!! I'd rather eat dead bugs!"
Take a look at these golden babies!
High in protein.
Tofu = soybeans
If you'd like to try these, here is what you'll need:
- TWO CARTONS OF EXTRA FIRM TOFU (makes 4 servings)
- OLIVE OIL or whatever oil you have
- GARLIC POWDER
- SALT and PEPPER
- SHREDDED ASIAGO CHEESE
- CATSUP for dipping
- Paper towel or cheese cloth
- Parchment paper
- Cookie sheets
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- DRAIN WATER FROM TOFU CARTON
- USE CHEESECLOTH OR PAPER TOWELS - WRAP AROUND TOFU TO ABSORB EXCESS LIQUID, PAT DRY
- SLICE TOFU INTO DESIRED FRY WEDGES OR RECTANGULAR PRISMS (I homeschool, remember?)
- LAY OUT ON THE PARCHMENT COVERED COOKIE SHEETS
- DRIZZLE OLIVE OIL, ADD SALT AND PEPPER, GARLIC POWDER and then SPRINKLE ASIAGO CHEESE ON TOP.
- BAKE FOR 20-40 MINUTES
(we like ours a bit firm with a hard exterior. if they get overcooked they will be too hard. keep an eye on them)
GIVE 'EM A TRY AT YOUR HOUSE!
coming to you from the Kitchen Table